Sunday, October 9, 2022

How to Make your DIY Mayonnaise - Manual Style

How to Make your DIY Mayonnaise - Manual Style



We all know that mayonnaise is one of the things that we buy when we are making a salad, sandwich or a dessert like macaroni/fruit salad. This is also a condiment frequently used as dips for snacks. Sadly, this precious baby costs a lot. In fact, when I made a search on its current price, it was at 234.15 php for a 470 mL of bottled Lady's Choice Mayonnaise at Lazada Mall.


I was delaying making the mayonnaise until I've purchased an immersion blender. However, I've watched a YouTube video that it was possible to make one even without the appliance.


And so my curiosity was piqued and I was rearing to go experiment if it was indeed true. I was kind of expecting that this would take a long time (for which it actually did) because this was made manually and made with love.


And so here's how I did it.


Ingredients:

  • 1 whole egg, fresh
  • salt
  • vinegar
  • water
  • oil, Canola 

 

Materials used:

    • Whisk
    • Induction pot + Glass bowl that can withstand heat (as these duo will serve as sort of a double boiler)
    • Induction cooker


Instructions:

  1. Set the induction pot to boil with water and then when water is boiling, tone down to the lowest setting.
  2. Put the glass bowl over the pot, making sure that the water in the pot is covered fully. Add the egg, small amount of water, salt and vinegar. Whisk away until you feel that the mixture is warm.
  3. Turn off the heat and then get the glass bowl off the pot. Whisk away the mixture in the bowl and then slowly introduce the oil into the mixture. Whisk again for some time and then add more oil. If you are not contented with the taste, adjust the salt and vinegar according to your desired taste.
  4. Add more oil and whisk again until the consistency is like of a mayonnaise.


Finally, I was able to make a Do-It-Yourself Mayonnaise manually using a whisk! Though I could tell you that it was one tough work! I was able to achieve this in less than an hour. And so, the lesson I learned here is that I better get that immersion blender. Hehe!


And here is the finished product! I was able to make a mayonnaise that is half the size of a Lady's choice mayonnaise bottle jar.




P.S. I don't know how long a homemade mayonnaise usually lasts but I've read that this is good for only a day since supermarket mayonnaise lasts long because it contains preservatives.


No comments:

Post a Comment