Thursday, January 21, 2021

Reading books

 Reading books


Reading has been my favorite hobby ever since I was little. It was something that wasn't forced for me to do. Every time my mother would buy our new books from school for the incoming school year use, I remember that I was ecstatic when she arrived at the house with the books. Quickly, I would grab the books that were suppose to be mine and would scan and read the contents of the books.


I can vividly remember when I was in my elementary years that I enjoyed going to the library because of the ambiance and the books. I personally like the story books that were in pictures and the characters were in clay form.


From story books, I then tried out reading magazines but those of related to religion as they were the ones available and probably because the school that I attended to was a Catholic school. And afterwards, books that were too short to read.


And then came high school. I had a good time in the library because I found precious pieces of books that were good reads. My preference would gear into stories that took a short time to read than long ones like novels. There was a time that I got consecutive failure test remarks in Algebra. I cried and tried to get help from the higher ups - 4th years (Yeah, I don't know them and I don't know where did I got my confidence to ask - maybe out of desperation perhaps XD) but unfortunately they forgot how to so I decided to go to the library to solve problems on my own. I was able to do better after solving a lot of problems and was amazed when I found out that those that I did is almost the same problems as with the succeeding tests.


And then came college. I was enthralled when I was able to discover the National Library of the Philippines. This library I tell you holds a minehole of gems. It was in this place that I was first able to read a personal finance book (Pera Mo Palaguin Mo by Francisco Colayco) for free as this book costs around 500 pesos. This started my interest in personal finance. In this library, I was able to read books from John Robert Powers, and self-help books. They cover Filipiniana section and Foreign books section. They discourage photocopying so the photocopying fee is quite expensive here per page.


After I graduated, I was able to shift from the physical to the electronic books. I'm very grateful as books were my savior. When I was unemployed for a couple of months, they were the ones that distracted me from unneccessary thoughts. I set a goal to finish a book though there were times I don't want to because I got lazy.


I started my own book challenge in the year 2012. I was able to finished reading 23 books and most of them were more on the young adult fiction type. Who would have thought that I was able to finish the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy?



No comments:

Post a Comment