Monday, January 18, 2021

Let's talk OPM!

 Let's talk OPM!


I know that I have been raving on Korean pop, ballad, folk, and indie music and the likes from my previous postings but it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate my own. For those who aren't familiar with Filipino music, OPM means original Pilipino Music. Usually, the songs here are penned in Tagalog or English. Sometimes the songs are incorporated with a language dialect. Filipino songs revolve around ballads and a music teacher told me that if you can master a ballad then you can master almost anything.


The music I've grown to is in the period where rock boy bands were a thing. Guitar, drums, and bass guitars were the basic instruments used. It was invigorating to say it at least but hearing it almost every day this kind of music was also stressful. Being a musically inclined country, our vocal prowess (ehem* ehem*) are unconsciously (or consciously) being practiced through our karaoke get-togethers and through joining music clubs or choirs. I'm glad that I could say today that the songs that we Filipinos are getting nowadays keep getting better and better each passing day. Maybe it was to keep up with the Korean culture trends? Competition, yeah baby!


What are you're favorite OPM songs?


Let me share you mine:


South border - Rainbow

Freestyle - Before I Let You Go

Shamrock - Alipin

Kung akin ang mundo - Erik Santos

Silent Sanctuary - Sa'Yo


No comments:

Post a Comment