Thursday, July 14, 2022

Compassion Fatigue

Compassion Fatigue



I've been in a slump and had enough of this. And so in order to regain back some control however small there is, I've decided to introduce bit by bit of a routine into my daily activities.


While I was scrolling into the facebook page, I came across a Webinar series about compassion fatigue.


Contrary to what a panelist in the webinar said that compassion fatigue is new to almost of us, I came across this term during my first 2 years of my employment and it magnified during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic. I was burned out. I wanted OUT. I was pulled out into a unit where I was constantly exposed to possible infected people. I was assigned to assist in the swabbing booth. Imagining the horror, dread and the anxiety every time I'm going to work. Even going to work was proving to be difficult. Our hospital provided pick up points but it was too far away to walk. Relying on public transportation that was cut off immediately shoot up the anxiety that I had. How will I be able to get there? Should I walk for at least 3 hours just to get there and then another? There came a time that my coworker tested positive and almost all the people had undergone RT PCR while I still continue rendering duty. It felt unfair. It felt that I was just a thing that they just use. I wanted to resign.


It took around at least The takeaway from the Webinar:


What are the possible reasons why compassion fatigue occurs:

1. Patients are posting on social media how healthcare workers should do their job

2. Stigma on availing mental health programs as healthcare workers

3. Taking negativities and absorbing them


Signs you might be having compassion fatigue:

1. Spiritual emptiness; Physical, psychological emptiness

2. Decreased sense of fulfillment

3. No sense of self/ Depersonalization

4. No motivation

5. Sense of fatigue


What you can do:

1. Managers and leaders in administration should constantly do checking on their subordinates; promote open dialogue

2. Preventive and promotive mental health (like webinars)

3. Building resilience (Mental Health in the Workplace)

4. COVID-19 support groups


Final tips from the panelists:

1. Recognize that it's okay not to be okay

2. Conduct mental health literacy

3. Basic orientation of psychological help resources


A-B-Cs

4. AWARENESS (Care first for ourselves)

5. Maintaining BALANCE in all aspects

6. Maintaining CONNECTIONS (What, When, Where)


7. Positive coping strategies

8. Resorting to negative coping strategies (alcohol, cigarettes, drugs)

9. Seek professional help if something is wrong with you (Self-harm)

10. Be mindful and aware 

11. Seek help immediately than delaying

12. Having an outlet

13. Listening to credible sources

14. Lessening screen time (max 2 hours a day on gadgets)


15. Exercise

16. Breathing exercise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEmt1Znux58

17. Doing Guided meditation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEmt1Znux58

18.

https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240003927


No comments:

Post a Comment