Sunday, August 11, 2019

Stock question: If I sell on the Ex-dividend date, who will receive the dividend?


Stock question: If I sell on the Ex-dividend date, who will receive the dividend?


Hello people! I'm updating out my income and expenses (in short my finances) so I was able to check out where I am at currently when it comes to stocks.

Speaking of the topic, I still consider myself a beginner when it comes to it. And I became interested to know along the way regarding the question: "If I sell on the Ex-dividend date, who will receive the dividend?". So for the sake of learning, I tried to test out my hypothesis in which I was the seller of the stock.

I also searched the internet and used Google. From what I understood based on the answers posted in the cyberspace, if you are going to buy before the ex-dividend date, you are entitled to the dividend. However, if you purchased the stock on or after the ex-dividend date, the seller of the stock gets the dividend.

Just as I said a while ago, in order to test out what really is the truth, I sold out my stock on the ex-dividend date. I'm still waiting on the payout date so I'll update you later on.

UPDATE as of Aug 19, 2019: The payout date came and as of this day, I can now therefore conclude that even if you sell at the ex-dividend date of the stock, you can still get the dividend.



No comments:

Post a Comment