Sunday, August 27, 2017

Looking through the Glass: Picking a Bang-For-Your-Money Eyeglasses

Looking through the Glass: Picking a Bang-For-Your-Money Eyeglasses

I've been contemplating on buying prescription glasses for a very long time. I opt to wear contact lenses instead as the prescription lenses tend to cost more especially if you are highly myopic. Myopic is a medical term we use for nearsightedness. To simply put this in a layman's explanation, this is when you experience seeing things/reading words clearly when you are very near the object.

Recently,  I had done an eye check-up with an optical shop in Waltermart, Makati before purchasing contact lenses. However, I am experiencing itchiness which I don't experience before and I think that this is the time to let my eyes breathe as I've been donning contact lenses for more than 6 months already.

So my first step was to go through (..at least in the birds-eye view of my imagination) the most cheapest place that I know: QUIAPO. The first time I've heard this was from my aunt who had her glasses done at this place. Since then, we've (we referring to my family as I had a family history of myopia which is kind of sad though) had our glasses done.

But before actually going there, I need to canvass first how much money it would cost. Below are the list of optical shops I've inquired to and their respective contact numbers. I've tried to googled some of them at first but  upon checking some of them are not updated.

*Clearvision
-Located at Walter Mart, 790 Chino Roces Avenue Corner Arnaiz Avenue, Makati, 1230 Metro Manila
-Phone Number: 728 5701 (not confirmed)
600+ ultra thin glasses costs around 3300 pesos.

*Reshma Optical
-Located at 628 Pedro Paterno St. 1001 Manila, Philippines
- Phone number: (02) 736 9269 (CONFIRMED)
600+ ultra thin glasses costs around 3500 pesos (already multicoated)

*Vinas Optical Supply
- Located at P. Paterno Street
- Phone number ()
600+  1.61 ultra thin is around 2500 pesos already multicoated. If you want the very ultra thin lenses a.k.a NIKON lens, it would cost you 4500 pesos.

*Sunnies Specs
-Located at Glorietta
Their 1999 php already includes their frames and lense. It's a sad day for me because this deal would only cover up to 600 grade only. Because my other eye is  around 625, I inquired how about that and they told me that it would costs around 3999 php which is already ultra thin along with the frame. For me, these is not bad as they have very stylish frames. However, I think they are not multicoated nor have the screen protection as my sister had to pay an additional of 1000 pesos for hers. By the way, she got her glasses at this shop.

*Eye Republic Optical Clinic
- Located at P. Paterno St. Quiapo beside JSM Optical Supply
- Phone number (Sorry guys, I forgot to get my copy of receipt)
- Sundays are up to 4 pm only

This is where I finally got my glasses (August 27, 2017) which cost around 2800 pesos in total. (Score! I didn't even haggled as I already find it cheaper than my previous optical shop). The lenses are already multicoated and cost around 1800 pesos. For a 625 grade, 1800 pesos is their minimum amount and it can get higher if you also have a high astigmatism. Thankfully, I do not have astigmatism anymore. The frame that I chose costs around 1000 pesos which is not bad however the lady assistant advised that I chose another which have smaller frame as I cannot appreciate the ultra thin if I'm going to go with the first choice. I really like the shape of the glasses so I ask her if they have available frames which is similar to what I like. She redirected me to another and I just love it. They have maroon and black in color but I chose these to make my look less intimidating. I usually go for black in color before. I overheard the assistant talking to another customer that the consultation is free as long as you will proceed with the frames and lenses. But if you will not, then they will require you to pay 125 pesos for the consultation fee. After paying for my order, I was asked to get back after 2 hours before 4 pm.

I went back there at 3 pm and found a lot of customers in the shop. Good thing I went there almost noon.

3 comments:

  1. I am curious about Sunnies Specs because sometimes, one can get the impression that
    they are after style and aesthetics but their reliability is questionable. How is your sister's experience with them? Does your sister have astigmatism?
    Thank you in advance for your kind reply.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, she doesn't have astigmatism. In my opinion, if you're looking for durability, better head to another trusted eye optical shop. But then at the end of the day, it comes with how you take care of your glasses. My sister is very meticulous with her things that she can still use it. I, on the other hand, is a bit careless at times, but the eyeglasses I bought in Quiapo can be use up to this day.

      Delete
  2. Nka tatlo ako ng salamin sa sunnies dahil maganda at matibay rin, nagkaproblema lang ang salamin ko at dahil lampas n ang warranty,at d ko dala ang card, d nila tinanggap ang salamin ko para ayusin,willing
    naman ako magbayad kung meron man sana, nadisappoint ako s treatment n ganun, pgkamahal-mahal,despite n may ktaasan price nila, bumili p dn aq dhil type ko din at tama s mukha ko...yun lang ang iknadramdam ko s sunnies dito s robinson mnila....

    ReplyDelete