Friday, December 29, 2023

Rice in the cooker spoils fast. What should I do?

Rice in the cooker spoils fast. What should I do?

In a typical Filipino household (and culture), rice is a staple food that is why there is an ongoing meme that says rice is life. Have you ever experienced forgetting to put the cooked rice in the fridge and then you found it spoiled because laid there in the cooker? I think that every one had probably already experienced it once or two. And then the next time you cook the rice in that same cooker (though it's already thoroughly washed and cleaned), it seems the next cooked rice tends to spoil faster?


Some tip that I got before was to put salt in the rice. But the ultimate hack that I discovered was to clean it thoroughly and then put the cleaned cookware (pot) in the gas stove without anything and open the fire into high heat. If you can already sense heat in your hand when you place it an inch or two from the surface of the pot, turn off the heat and let it cool. Do it every time there is spoilage. I got this idea because I thought since bacteria causes the spoilage, we should eliminate the bacteria first. Mind you, I've also tried putting sodium hypochlorite (Zonrox) and letting it sit in the pot for a while but in my opinion I think I'm not satisfied with its effectivity aside from the fact that we are using chemicals that deals directly with our food.


Anyway, bacteria thrives in moisture and heat. The bad thing about in our rented apartment, there is a very high humidity and bad ventilation. So food tends to spoil fast.  I thought that the little gaps that might be a breeding spot for the bacteria in the pot so exposing it to high heat would probably kill it.


And that's it! Hope it helps!


Sanegeal Farmhear

No comments:

Post a Comment