Friday, July 7, 2017

Making Kimchi

Making Kimchi

It is a Saturday morning today and it's time for Mr. Napa cabbage to shine! Because today, we are going to make KIMCHI! Harhar. Okay... That was lame. Enough with the exaggeration. Just kicking off the morning with a great start. 

Anyway, I'm sharing to you that I'm trying to make kimchi. Though it is not my first in making this but this time I was following a recipe (maybe tweak some steps) from a mini cookbook I bought from National Bookstore which costs around 145 pesos.



To give you a brief introduction, Kimchi is a traditional staple food in Korean cuisine used as a side dish or may be used as a main dish which have originated at least 2000 years ago. It is salted and fermented and consists of napa cabbage as a common ingredient. I had watched and read in the internet that some use daikon/korean radish or spring onions as the main ingredient.

I finished the 5 days soaking the cabbage with salt in the refrigerator as I can't just leave this in the room temperature. The warm weather here has been crazy enough and the recipe calls that I have to store it in a cool place so I thought of the refrigerator. Today, I will do the remaining steps in the cookbook. I'm going to mixed it with the other ingredients that I had already choppped 5 days ago as I was worried that the spring onions would wilt. The only fresh ingredient that I had was the chili peppers as I forgot to buy these from the market. The other mixed ingredients were placed in the refrigerator from 5 days ago. Upon opening, it started to smell same as the store-bought kimchi!

After mixing them all, I find it odd to add cold water over the top but I did it anyway. This is how it looks after:



 Let's just see what would these would taste like after 3 more days.


UPDATE as of 7/15/2017:

I tasted the kimchi last Thursday and the kimchi was salty probably because I halved the water. I used 300 ml instead of the 600 ml water instructed because there was no room for it in the jar. I searched in the internet in how to fix this and found out to add radish into the mix. Kimchi was less saltier after a couple of days. And just yesterday I bought a korean radish and added it in the jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment