Friday, July 14, 2017

In English, Please!

In English, Please!

A conversation I've had with a foreign high school student I've just met last Thursday made me think on a lot of things. He was here for a medical immersion because he wanted to be a gastroenterology doctor someday which I found cool and noble by the way. He might be studying in Ukraine as there is no pre-med course required there and it would only take 5-6 years for him to finish it. And of course because his family is there though they are based in Hongkong. He seemed nice enough and I can tell that he is wise by the way he had asked questions.

The first question that struck me first was that is there a way not to have a misunderstanding between doctors and nurses. I told him there will always be a misunderstanding but it will depend on the person. If I could hear this myself now, I would be baffled. You see, I have this dilemma. I have these huge amounts of ideas in my head and whenever I speak out, it turns out like an alien language to the receiver.

And so I thought a while about this. If I could answer him today, I still would say that misunderstandings are inevitable whether you are on the medical profession or not. Each of us has a his/her own way of perceiving things which may brought around misunderstandings. However, keeping an open mind would surely help in alleviating or could probably help in avoiding misunderstandings. 

Hey, I'm no expert in small-talk but I was surprised to see that through this I was able to gain an understanding of myself. I can claim to you more confidently that I am more of a writer that of an impromptu conversation starter. What made it more interesting was that I was able to converse in English and somehow convene what I wanted to say although I'd still had that dead space times which was awkward because my mind tells me "Fill that void space!".

Anyway, it was cool that little by little I was able to realize that I can express more of myself. Thanks to reading a lot of books!

No comments:

Post a Comment