Saturday, September 11, 2021

Cooking: My Menudillo recipe

Cooking: My Menudillo recipe





Yesterday, I was asked by my mother to cook the ground pork in the refrigerator for our dinner because although she would love a soup-based viand like a fish stew, my brother however, does tend to be picky with food and might not eat if I'll go with cooking the fish stew. I told my mom that though this recipe calls for probably most sautéing and simmering, it is my first time making this and with the use of tomato sauce at that. She said it is just "tantya-tantya lang" (guessing the amount depending on your gut instinct). I sometimes reiterate that not everyone is not like her blessed with the gift of taste and can turn around a bad dish into an acceptable one that's why for a first timer in cooking, I think a recipe should be necessary as a guide. But she retorts back that the recipes found are usually salty. And so with that I rest my case. I told her that because of that no one will complain with the result of my cooking because every time she use this line, I feel that it's as if "tantya-tantya lang" is easy breezy which is not. Disclaimer: I apologize for the "tantya-tantya lang" stuff later. XD


Ingredients:

  • About 1/4 kilo of lean ground pork
  • 2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil (We use canola for our household)
  • 4 cloves medium sized garlic, crushed with  a garlic crusher (I tell you, this tool is simply amazing and life changing!)
  • 1 medium sized violet onion, minced
  • 1 large tomato, minced
  • 1  large singkamas/turnip, minced (My mom thought my sister had bought potatoes and mistook turnip for potatoes but proceeded with it anyways)
  • 1 medium sized carrot, minced
  • 1 large red bell pepper, minced
  • 1 pouch DEL MONTE Original Tomato Sauce 200 g
  • 1 pouch filtered water using the empty DEL MONTE Original Tomato Sauce 200 g
  • 1/2 pouch of Mama Sita's oyster sauce
  • Around 2 teaspoons of sugar
  • Pinch of rock salt
  • Dash of black pepper


Procedure:

  1. Put around 2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce and a dash of black pepper. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes. My mom forgot to tell me she also puts some crushed garlic in this.
  2. Set your fire into medium heat and put the oil in a wok or non-stick pan.
  3. Sauté the garlic until it turns into light brown then the onions until translucent. Put the tomatoes next and sauté for around 30 seconds. Put a pinch of rock salt (I observed that me doing this brings out the sweet taste of the onion and tomatoes) 
  4. Put the marinated pork into the pan. Saute until a bit cooked. You will no longer see pinkish/red in the meat and it will turn into light grey.
  5. Add the turnip, carrot and bell pepper. Mix and saute for around 15 seconds.
  6. Empty 1 pouch DEL MONTE Original Tomato Sauce 200 g into the pan, mix it a little and using the empty pouch, fill it with filtered water and add it again into the pan.
  7. Cover the pan and let it simmer for around 5 minutes or up until it boils.
  8. Add the oyster sauce, sugar, and black pepper. Adjust according to your preference. Let it simmer again for around 2-3 minutes and then your done!

FINAL RESULT: I asked my mom the next day how was the menudillo and said it was okay. My mother approved! Yey!

No comments:

Post a Comment